30.12.04

soundtrack | David Bowie: Ashes to Ashes

I've been horrified about the Asian earthquake. Thailand and Sri Lanka are so popular holiday places right now that almost everyone knows someone who has been - or still is - somewhere down there. I'm afraid that the curious people watching the lists and images of missing people will block the net so I've tried to keep out of the way, but still I haven't been able to avoid a few images of the missing children and unidentidied persons. How awful it must feel to wait information from the other side of the world not able to do anything. And it must be really strange for those who have returned without any damage or without missing family members. I mean, a tropical paradise turning into chaos a few days ago must be feeling like a surrealistic dream when you are wiping the snow out from your street back home.


It would have been a sort of strange, dark Xmas time this year even without the earthquake. Of course it felt good to sleep (and that I did, about 12-14/24) and to eat, and it was warm and cozy with my parents and all... but never trust your brother if he's something like mine. I asked him to bring us something nice and harmless to watch; something that won't liquidate your brains but it's still fun to watch. And what does he do? On the night before the EQ we watched Grave of the Fireflies, an anime from Studio Ghibli. I'm sort of glad that I watched it even though it was nothing like I had in mind. (I guess it's one of the best movies ever and I recommed it to everyone but don't watch it when you're a bit down. It won't make you more glad.) The dying theme of Xmas continued next morning when the news from Asia started to flow and like that wasn't enough I still managed to watch a documentary about a demolition of Pompeii.


After this happy happy Xmas weekend I've been trying to have a few days to myself and my own projects but so far I've gotten nearly fifty work related emails. It's hard to NOT work when you know they are there awaiting and the longer you wait... I'm sort of telling myself that a couple of days make no difference but still I *know* that the AOTTD (amount of things to do - I learned this yesterday from spam mail) will grow fast to the point where it'll be hard to handle. So... I guess I'll have to make some work things already today.


During this time I've been trying to finish my one spam related artsy project. I already missed one deadline (well, it would be today and it's impossible to finish right now) and I'm afraid that I miss the deadline of one New York alternative gallery, which was interested about my installation, too. Have I mentioned about this? If not, it really doesn't matter now but shortly: I'm making my first installation ever. It's not complicated but still it requires a lot of background work to be done and here I am, stuck in the word-ville not able to finish the thing in time. I should have had more time in the beginning of the project. Anyway, it's no use to whine now. I'll finish the project, if not now then later and it'll find it's place somewhere.

By the way, the net art interview was published in tutka.org a few weeks ago (in Finnish of course).